Wrexham steals the show vs. Manchester United in front of record-breaking crowd at Snapdragon Stadium

Credit: Deanna Gold/ EVT Sports

Spread the love
Credit: Deanna Gold/ EVT Sports

A sold-out crowd of 34,248 spectators filled Snapdragon Stadium for a friendly match between Manchester United and Wrexham this Tuesday, July 25. The attendance was a new Snapdragon Stadium record, surpassing the 32 thousand fans that were in attendance for a San Diego Wave FC vs. Angel City FC game on Sept. 18, 2022.

The game was not one that many fans expected when it was first announced, as Manchester United fielded a U-21 youth team. The only veteran player on the pitch for the “Red Devils” was longtime Premier League center-back Jonny Evans.

Manchester United fan Jesse Deffler, who flew in for the match fromĀ  New Jersey, shared his opinion on the United squad. “I was really looking forward to this, and I have no idea who’s on the field. But you know what I like Wrexham too”, Deffler said. The United fan did also say that with the way the game was promoted that he believed the first team was going to play. “I bought tickets thinking I would see Bruno and Rashford play, and I don’t even know these guys, but what are you going to do,” Deffler said.

Deffler said all of this while joking with his friends and clearly enjoying his time at the game. Despite the alternate squad on the field, Manchester United fans generated an electric atmosphere at the Mission Valley fortress.

One of the biggest moments of the game came in the 12th minute of the game when United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop collided with Wrexham striker Paul Mullin.

The injury took about eight minutes of the match, and Mullin came out with a punctured lung. Fans were clearly in disarray when the injury occurred and proceeded to boo and jeer Bishop whenever he touched the ball, this included several United fans.

Despite the injury to their top goalscorer, Wrexham scored the first goal of the match in the 29th minute when a cross found Elliot Lee inside of the penalty area. Lee finished the opportunity, and Wrexham was not done just yet with another goal in the 36th minute by Aaron Hayden. The goal came off a powerful throw-in by Ben Tozer and an assist by Max Cleworth.

I'd like this amount to  

Wrexham kept the 2-0 lead up until the final moments of the first half when Marc Jurado scored with an assist by Alvaro Fernandez. The Stadium erupted the loudest it had all night, with the goal filled with the euphoria of Manchester United fans.

Both teams made several changes at halftime, and the second half definitely had less action than the first. Daniel Gore received a red card in the 47th minute after a harsh tackle, and both teams started pushing and shoving each other.

The last goal of the game came for Wrexham in the 69th minute when Sam Dalby scored via a header off a cross by Jacob Mendy. With the victory Wrexham were crowned Snapdragon Cup Champions, taking a trophy from this exhibition match. The game ended 3-1 in Wrexham’s favor in what was a historic night for Snapdragon Stadium due to the record-breaking attendance.

The atmosphere was joyful, cheerful, and exciting despite most fans supporting the losing team. The game was a very successful night in Snapdragon Stadium’s history and for San Diego soccer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *