Lake County Captains at Fort Wayne TinCaps series preview
The Fort Wayne TinCaps welcome the Lake County Captains to Parkview Field for a six-game series.
These clubs are familiar with each other as this will be the third series they have squared off in this season.
The Captains are the High-A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians. The Indians farm system has five players on the MLB Top 100 Prospects list. George Valera is the 88th ranked prospect and currently is on the Lake County roster.
About the Captains:
- Location– Eastlake, Ohio (15 minutes away from Cleveland)
- Ballpark- Classic Park, capacity of 6,500 (fixed seats) 10,000 (suites, lawn)
- Famous Alumni- Eric Wedge, 2007 MLB Manager of the Year. He is a Fort Wayne, Indiana native. Parkview Field displays Wedge on their seating signage in section 101.
The San Diego Padres have assigned catcher Andelson Arias to the Fort Wayne TinCaps from ACL Padres. Arias is a switch-hitting catcher out of the Dominican Republic. The TinCaps also activated LHP Mason Feole from the 7-day injured list.
Anderson Espinoza was ejected from last Thursday’s ballgame after 1 inning of work. Espinoza’s glove had a substance on the inside, which was found by umpires resulting in the ejection. Major League Baseball recently incorporated a rule to check pitchers, their gloves, and hats for foreign substances. A foreign substance like pine tar or sunscreen has effect on the spin rate of the baseball, which makes the ball harder to hit. Therefore, making the game less exciting.
High-A Central Standings:
The TinCaps continue to sit in last place in the East Division. The season is not spilt into halves like it was in Low-A. So Fort Wayne still has a chance to make a playoff push. They need to start winning series and protecting leads. They sit 7 games out of first place in the division. That is a smaller margin than the West has between first place Quad Cities and second-place Cedar Rapids Kernels.
|– East Division||Aff||W||L||W-L%||GB|
|Great Lakes Loons||LAD||30||24||0.556||0.5|
|Lake County Captains||CLE||29||25||0.537||1.5|
|West Michigan Whitecaps||DET||25||27||0.481||4.5|
|Fort Wayne TinCaps||SDP||23||30||0.434||7|
|– West Division||Aff||W||L||W-L%||GB|
|Quad Cities River Bandits||KCR||35||17||0.673||—|
|Cedar Rapids Kernels||MIN||28||26||0.519||8|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||MIL||25||28||0.472||10.5|
|South Bend Cubs||CHC||22||31||0.415||13.5|
Quick Hitters – Team Leaders
- Jonny Homza– Batting average (.279), runs scored (40)
- Agustin Ruiz– RBI’s (38), homeruns (10)
- Reinaldo Ilarraza– Stolen Bases (16)
[wpedon id=”49075″ align=”right”]
Quick Pitch- Team Leaders
- Ethan Elliott– ERA (2.94), strikeouts (67), WHIP (o.96)
- Edwuin Bencomo– Wins (3) tied
- Felix Minjarez- Wins (3) tied
- Carter Loewen– Saves (6)
- Location- Parkview Field, Fort Wayne Indiana
- When- 7-6-21 through 7-11-21
- Listen/watch- ESPN 1380 Fort Wayne or Milb. TV
I was born, raised, and still reside in the Hoosier state. I am a 2008 graduate of Ivy Tech Community College. I am married to my beautiful wife Kristen, father to Garrett, with another child on the way. A baseball enthusiast covering the Fort Wayne TinCaps, High A affiliate of the San Diego Padres.